On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Pablo Roboto <sunjay.pandey / gmail.com>wrote:

> Just starting myself and enjoying the book (though I'm about to pull my
> hair out with the sort exercise in Chapter 7 -- the one that challenges
> you to perform the sort without using .sort)

If it helps, I made some videos showing what sorts "look like" (some
creative liberties taken) http://vimeo.com/channels/138529 In particular,
look at insertion, selection, and bubble sorts. Those are usually considered
pretty easy to understand, and are often the first sorts people are taught.
Selection and Insertion are the kinds of sorts that humans do, for example,
when sorting cards. If you have JRuby installed, you can generate the images
yourself, and then flip through them forward and backward to see how they
work. For some of them, that makes it more straightforward.