Benoit Daloze wrote:
> On 4 October 2010 04:19, Terry Michaels <spare / frigidcode.com> wrote:
>> Hi. What's the most simple and elegant way to remove all the contents of
>> a String except for the first line? (Assume string consist of one line,
>> multiple lines, or no lines, and assume that we don't know which OS we
>> are on.)
>> --
>
> Probably the most elegant, with Ruby 1.9:
>
> str = str.lines.first
>
> add ".chomp" if you want to remove the trailing EOL.

Definitely the most elegant! (Defining 'elegant' as simple, natural,
easy to read) Thanks! This seems to work fine on my system with ruby
1.8.7 (patchlevel 302). Possibly not the most efficient (requires entire
string to be split into array elements) but okay in my case.

In fairness to the others, I should have explained that I was okay with
replacing the old string with a new string.