Ruby can be dynamically translated ( = jitted ) as Smalltalk is.
A project "Rubinius" exists which goes in that direction.
The problem with ruby is that it is not so easy ( = lot of work ) to write a
ruby to bytecode translator.
Smalltalk & List style languages are almost syntax free - the contrary is
the case for Ruby.
Or Smalltalk VM ( LSW-GVM ) runs Smalltalk at the speed of C/C++ and we plan
to do that also for other dynamic languages ( e.g Haskell, JavaScript  also
Ruby ) in the nearest future. The LSW-GVM is currently available for Win32
( deep GUI integration, multithreading ). We are working on a 64 Bit
version.

Frank Lesser

news:AANLkTinzm=ch-Vz8T6zFAa_xMoZq=4qavqYpQAqvm-n7 / mail.gmail.com...