On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Eleanor McHugh
<eleanor / games-with-brains.com> wrote:
> On 6 Oct 2010, at 13:11, Rick DeNatale wrote:

>> This is Greenspun's tenth rule of programming at work.
>> http://philip.greenspun.com/research/
>
> Funnily enough this is one of the inspirations behind my golightly[0] pro=
ject: if every significant program I write will end up with an ad hoc imple=
mentation of Lisp (or more often than not Lisp and several other languages)=
 then why not just use an abstract platform that allows me to plug together=
 Lisp machines, Forth machines, Ruby machines etc. and have them all operat=
e on the same underlying type space?

> This is subtly different to the traditional virtual machine approach as b=
y taking seriously the notion of language agnosticism you end up with less =
a single machine and more a set of components that can be plugged together =
to build an infinite variety of machines that are each better suited to the=
 particular tasks they're used for than a general-purpose VM. I suspect it'=
s probably similar to the software IC concept you mentioned over on Core re=
cently, but with the added wrinkle that I'm interested in building in gener=
alised type space transformations if I can get my head around them. These w=
ould effectively provide a means of JIT translation between different langu=
age type models, including assembler-level type expression where practical.=
 I suspect a big chunk of the winter is likely to be spent researching curr=
ent developments in compiler theory in hopes someone else has already solve=
d this problem... and if they haven't perhaps it's time I went back to Uni =
and got my Doctorate :)

Sounds a bit like several historic efforts like Uncol, IBM's SOM, and
Microsoft's (D)CLR.

Also sounds for a great topic for a Ruby Conf version of the kind of
semi-inebriated late night discussions I used to enjoy at OOPSLA with
the likes of Kent Beck, Ward Cunningham, George Bosworth of Digitalk
(who went on to work on DCLR at MS before giving up on them) and
others back in the heyday.

--=20
Rick DeNatale

Help fund my talk at Ruby Conf 2010:http://pledgie.com/campaigns/13677