Just to clarify, here's what he originally wrote:

> I have an actual existing application (C/C++) for population genetics simulations
> which I would dearly love to convert to Ruby.
> It was originally all in C and, as a learning exercise, I converted parts of it to C++ - but it was such a pain .
>. it would have been so pleasant to re-write in Ruby.
> However I would have to get resulting code converted back to C or compiled somehow to
> get the performance back to something usable.

It's not clear from this whether he has actually tried to recode the
program in Ruby or this is still a gedanken experiment.

The first step would be to try to re-code in Ruby and see where the
performance bottlenecks resulting from the conversion, if any, were.
Then optimizing these steps either by rewriting the Ruby or converting
selective code to C extensions might get him to the performance he
seeks, or at least acceptable performance.
--
Rick DeNatale

Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick
Twitter: @RickDeNatale