On Sep 30, 2010, at 6:55 , jalbers wrote:

> I downloaded appscript and it is unzipped.  I started up terminal and
> changed directories to the folder rb-appscript-0.5.3 and I think that
> I need to do the following three commands to get it installed:
>=20
> ruby extconf.rb
> make
> sudo make install
>=20
> after typing "ruby extconf.rb", I get an error message saying "can't
> find header files for ruby."
>=20
> The documentation said something about "Please note that the version
> of Ruby included with Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) is missing the header
> files needed to build appscript on PPC-based Macs."
>=20
> I am not very experienced with doing anything at the command prompt,
> and I am starting to learn Ruby.  I don't want to have to install a
> new version of ruby.=20

I'm afraid that's really your best option. The version of Ruby that =
shipped with 10.4 was, if I recall correctly, pretty darn old even at =
the time it shipped. 1.8.2? Or maybe 1.8.4? You will probably have fewer =
difficulties in the long run if you install 1.8.7 or the shiny new =
1.9.2.=20

However, I think you should be able to find a newer version of ruby that =
can be installed without using the command prompt. Somebody has built =
.pkg files for installing Ruby, so it can be installed like any normal =
Mac app.=20