WOW! Thanks for all the responses and please accept my apologies for
venting my frustrations at 1am. You'd think I'd learn my lesson and not
do that after doing this job for so many years.

I wasn't trying to confuse Ruby and Rails and I understand that the pair
is synonymous to the pair of C++ and MFC. I guess I was just excepting
that it might be an easier way to start a new app. My reason for trying
to test with mysql was just due to my experience with it and it's
already set up on my machines for development purposes.

I will definitely take a look at the links everyone supplied.

Thanks again.