On Oct 3, 4:26=A0am, Ed Reed <joebanana... / gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out what's so cool about Ruby. I need to create a
> web app that runs on Windows 7 and talks to multiple ODBC data sources.
> I wanted to start with just a simple app but I've been trying for three
> days on three different machines with no success. I tried setting up
> Ruby 1.9.2, 1.9.1, 1.8.2, and 1.8.6 and can't even begin to start
> developing anything.
>
> My steps have been
> Uninstall and remove all existing Ruby installations
> Install Ruby
> install DevKit
> run command gem install rails
> run command gem install rake
> run command gem install mysql
> run command gem install mysql2
> run command rails new mydbapp -d mysql
> run command rails new mydbapp -d mysql2

Rails 3 (latest release of it) requires either Ruby 1.8.7 or Ruby
1.9.2. If you haven't installed one of these versions you're going to
have problems.

Second, have you read Ruby on Rails guides?

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html

> I've tried numerous combinations of the above steps (obviously I didn't
> perform both the mysql and mysql2 at the same time) and get errors on
> install rails, install mysql, install mysql2, and rails new mydbapp.

If you installed RubyInstaller, there are plenty of tutorials
explaining how to get everything installed:

http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Tutorials

> I've searched the web for three days for answers to all the different
> errors. I've found that many people seem to have the same or very
> similar errors and it doesn't look like there's many successful
> resolutions.

What errors? you're not providing the output that you're receiving so
is highly unlikely we can help you without them.

It is important also that you don't confuse Rails with Ruby.

--
Luis Lavena