"Ed Reed" <joebananas10 / gmail.com> wrote in message
news:5337ae5fc54ae1ee2015d139636e586d / ruby-forum.com...
> I'm trying to figure out what's so cool about Ruby. I need to create a
> web app that runs on Windows 7 and talks to multiple ODBC data sources.
> I wanted to start with just a simple app but I've been trying for three
> days on three different machines with no success. I tried setting up
> Ruby 1.9.2, 1.9.1, 1.8.2, and 1.8.6 and can't even begin to start
> developing anything.

Hello Ed:

DBI appears to be a popular way to access to ODBC in Ruby.  DBI provides a
consistence way to access multiple DBs including via ODBC if you want.  One
thread I read said that the Windows Ruby Installer installs DBI
automatically but it was an old thread and I haven't tried DBI myself on
Windows (I'm on Vista) so I can't confirm but maybe these links will help
you:

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/ruby/ruby_database_access.htm
http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/2008/01/rubygarden-archives-scripting-access.html
http://blog.hlie.org/
http://www.kitebird.com/articles/ruby-dbi.html
http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/2007/06/using-ruby-ado-to-work-with-ms-access.html

There is also ruby-odbc but it appears to be used along with DBI so I'm not
sure I see the point:

http://www.ch-werner.de/rubyodbc/
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/113835

Sorry I couldn't be more help... I haven't used Ruby for much DB stuff yet
although I did use "instant rails" to access MySQL when using the Agile Web
Development with Rails book and it was painless to setup and get going.

Michael