Ed Reed wrote:
> I need to create a
> web app that runs on Windows 7 and talks to multiple ODBC data sources.
> run command gem install rails

You don't need Rails to talk to a database, nor to build a web app
(there are other options). But if you want to use Rails, then a Rails
forum would be a better place to ask. This forum is for Ruby, the
programming language.

In any case, I'd suggest you start with a basic hello-world type of web
app, perhaps using sqlite3 if you want a database, before getting it to
connect to some other data source.

You're putting yourself at a disadvantage by running under Windows, but
you could also look at some of the prepackaged bundles like Instant
Rails.

There's tons of documentation about Rails, so I'm sure with a bit of
googling you could find some quick-start guides for Rails under Windows.

> run command gem install mysql
> run command gem install mysql2

I don't use Windows myself, but I'm pretty sure you don't need the mysql
gem to talk to an ODBC data source.

For what it's worth, I do have a Rails app running under Linux talking
happily to MS SQL Server via ODBC. If I remember correctly, the bits I
needed were:

* unixODBC and unixODBC-devel
* freetds (Linux interface to SQL Server with ODBC API)
* ruby-odbc gem
* activerecord-sqlserver-adapter gem

config/environment.rb was something like:

development:
  adapter: sqlserver
  mode: odbc
  dsn: XXXXXXX