On 10/03/2010 12:26 AM, Ed Reed wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out what's so cool about Ruby. I need to create a
> web app that runs on Windows 7 and talks to multiple ODBC data sources.
> I wanted to start with just a simple app but I've been trying for three
> days on three different machines with no success. I tried setting up
> Ruby 1.9.2, 1.9.1, 1.8.2, and 1.8.6 and can't even begin to start
> developing anything.
>
> My steps have been
> Uninstall and remove all existing Ruby installations
> Install Ruby
> install DevKit
> run command gem install rails
> run command gem install rake
> run command gem install mysql
> run command gem install mysql2
> run command rails new mydbapp -d mysql
> run command rails new mydbapp -d mysql2
>
> I've tried numerous combinations of the above steps (obviously I didn't
> perform both the mysql and mysql2 at the same time) and get errors on
> install rails, install mysql, install mysql2, and rails new mydbapp.
>
> I've searched the web for three days for answers to all the different
> errors. I've found that many people seem to have the same or very
> similar errors and it doesn't look like there's many successful
> resolutions.
>
> So since Ruby can't create a web database app on Windows 7 and there's
> no descent place to find useful answers to problems that lead to
> successful resolutions, and creating a simple app requires a ridiculous
> number of steps to just set it up before you ever get to write any code,
> what's so cool about it? I'm serious, I'd like an answer. I'd like to
> see it work but all I've seen is errors. I don't think it can do it but
> I've heard people say that it's the hot new way to do web db apps. I've
> been writing web db apps for the past 12 years in a variety of languages
> on numerous platforms and I've never had to deal with this. I don't see
> how anyone can spend this much non-billable time before your ever get to
> write any code. Can anyone answer any of these questions.

Hi Ed,

Sorry for your frustration. However, you seem to be conflating Ruby (the
language) and Ruby on Rails (the web framework). You might get better
answers on the Rails forum/mailing list: http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/3

Some browsing around landed me here:
http://allaboutruby.wordpress.com/2009/07/20/installing-rails-on-windows-3-years-later/
which describes installing Ruby and Rails on Windows 7, so it certainly
is possible. Unfortunately, it does not describe using MySQL. Here's
another reference, which does mention MySQL:
http://www.hashemzahran.com/riding-the-rails-installing-ruby-on-rails/
My apologies if you have already seen these.

Without seeing the actual errors, I am afraid that's the best I can do.

-Justin