Ryan,

On 2010-10-03 06:53, Ryan Davis wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2010, at 05:36 , Ammar Ali wrote:
>
>> Seriously, I believe these questions are not worth asking.
>
> Then why do you bother with this mailing list? You might as well
> unsubscribe now.
>
>> It is 100% possible in both principle and in practice to convert
>> Ruby code into another language where the output performs the same
>> functions as the original code.
>
> I know. I've done it. Twice. See ruby2c for one such example. There
> is another, zenobfuscate, (unreleased) that translates ruby to ruby c
> internals so that you can compile a ruby c extension and ship a
> binary instead of raw source. This may be what the OP wanted, but
> since nobody bothered to ask before answering (in volumes), it looks
> like they were chased off.
>
>> However, the output will have nothing to do with Ruby in any way.
>
> This is entirely false and I see absolutely no justification in the
> rest of your mail for such a claim.

OK, I have been lurking but will respond now:  I have an actual existing
application (C/C++) for population genetics simulations which I would
dearly love to convert to Ruby.  It was originally all in C and, as a
learning exercise, I converted parts of it to C++ - but it was such a
pain . . it would have been so pleasant to re-write in Ruby.  However I
would have to get resulting code converted back to C or compiled somehow
to get the performance back to something usable.  I looked at ruby2c
some time ago but it didn't seem developed enough.  I have been watching
Vidar Hokstad's  progress:

http://www.hokstad.com/compiler

but that still has some way to go and Ocelot development seems to have
stopped?

Would ZenObfuscate be able to do what I want? - I just had a look at the
website and I see it is an (expensive) commercial product . . pity.

So it appears that there is still no libre software ready for prime time
in terms of being able to write code nicely in Ruby and have some sort
of converted run time that has near C performance . .

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades