I'm trying to figure out what's so cool about Ruby. I need to create a
web app that runs on Windows 7 and talks to multiple ODBC data sources.
I wanted to start with just a simple app but I've been trying for three
days on three different machines with no success. I tried setting up
Ruby 1.9.2, 1.9.1, 1.8.2, and 1.8.6 and can't even begin to start
developing anything.

My steps have been
Uninstall and remove all existing Ruby installations
Install Ruby
install DevKit
run command gem install rails
run command gem install rake
run command gem install mysql
run command gem install mysql2
run command rails new mydbapp -d mysql
run command rails new mydbapp -d mysql2

I've tried numerous combinations of the above steps (obviously I didn't
perform both the mysql and mysql2 at the same time) and get errors on
install rails, install mysql, install mysql2, and rails new mydbapp.

I've searched the web for three days for answers to all the different
errors. I've found that many people seem to have the same or very
similar errors and it doesn't look like there's many successful
resolutions.

So since Ruby can't create a web database app on Windows 7 and there's
no descent place to find useful answers to problems that lead to
successful resolutions, and creating a simple app requires a ridiculous
number of steps to just set it up before you ever get to write any code,
what's so cool about it? I'm serious, I'd like an answer. I'd like to
see it work but all I've seen is errors. I don't think it can do it but
I've heard people say that it's the hot new way to do web db apps. I've
been writing web db apps for the past 12 years in a variety of languages
on numerous platforms and I've never had to deal with this. I don't see
how anyone can spend this much non-billable time before your ever get to
write any code. Can anyone answer any of these questions?