On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Ralph Shnelvar <ralphs / dos32.com> wrote:

> I see
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/41160
>
> which has a fairly long explanation of passing stuff by reference and copy on write(cow).

A very noisy thread.

> Let's say I have
> def som_func(x,y)
>  x = 24
>  y = 42
> end
> .
> .
>
> a=1
> b=2
> .
> .
> .
> some_func(a,b)
>

> and I want to have some_func change a to 24 and b to 42 ...
>
> How do I do it?

You can't. Ruby, C, and Java are pass-by-value. With that method call
semantics what you ask is not possible. You certainly can change the
state of a mutable object, but that is unrelated.

Perl is pass-by-reference, you can do that in Perl.

This is jargon, the word "reference" in "pass-by-reference" has
nothing to do with the "references" that Java or Ruby manage. Same
term, different meanings.