RVM turns out to be a very good answer to the question of how to get to
Ruby v1.9.2 on Ubuntu 10.04.  I had some trouble on my desktop machine
(separate post) but the instructions on www.christopherirish.com (see
link below) work flawlessly on my laptop.  Thanks very much to Joseph
Savard for the incredibly helpful links below.