> I guess. This top-level approach would only take you so far .

Prior to the advent of OO, we used procedural styles, and we still had
to run 500-seat call centres, book planes, run multinational banks,
invent new drugs etc.

I guess applications that are database-oriented are easier to do
procedurally as you tend to use simple data structures (relations ->
arrays).

Trying to use procedural for some GUI visual design package would be
tough, but a lot of real applications (web sites, twitter etc) are just
reading and writing simple data structures.

The plus about procedural is it makes you partition. Just creating
objects doesn't necessarily add order and elegance to a system.