Rahul Kumar wrote:
> Ast Jay wrote:
>> I've followed the instructions here:
>> http://hivelogic.com/articles/compiling-ruby-rubygems-and-rails-on-snow-leopard
>>
>> ...and everything seems to go ok. I do ruby -v and I'm told I have
>> 1.9.2, but after restarting the machine it goes back to 1.8.7 :-/
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>> Should I just use macports or fink or locomotive? I will be using it
>> mainly for Rails.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> 1. fink is obsolete, please use macports over fink.
>
> Macports installs in opt/local/bin which does not get overwritten when
> you upgrade OSX. The gripe I have with the hivelogic way is that it
> installs in /usr and that used to get overrwritten by OSX.
>
> rvm is the preferred way as you can easily switch between various
> versions of ruby. Perhaps you should post the errors you face with rvm
> so the author can help you.
>
> At any rate, do not delete the system ruby (/usr/bin/ruby) as you may
> need it to compile things like vim with ruby support.

Thanks for the heads up about Fink - it is still listed on the rails
site, hence I considered it.

I just want a set-up that works tbh, hence being put off RVM - I am
learning rails so just want to be able to get into that and not worry
about additional errors/set-backs. Thanks to Jose I now have 1.9.2
working and if I need to upgrade again will use RVM next time, as by
then I should be a bit more knowledgeable about it all. Thanks for you
help :)