Ast Jay wrote:
> I've followed the instructions here:
> http://hivelogic.com/articles/compiling-ruby-rubygems-and-rails-on-snow-leopard
>
> ...and everything seems to go ok. I do ruby -v and I'm told I have
> 1.9.2, but after restarting the machine it goes back to 1.8.7 :-/
>
> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Should I just use macports or fink or locomotive? I will be using it
> mainly for Rails.
>
> Thanks in advance.

1. fink is obsolete, please use macports over fink.

Macports installs in opt/local/bin which does not get overwritten when
you upgrade OSX. The gripe I have with the hivelogic way is that it
installs in /usr and that used to get overrwritten by OSX.

rvm is the preferred way as you can easily switch between various
versions of ruby. Perhaps you should post the errors you face with rvm
so the author can help you.

At any rate, do not delete the system ruby (/usr/bin/ruby) as you may
need it to compile things like vim with ruby support.