Jose Hales-Garcia wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2010, at 4:05 PM, Ast Jay <azzzz / gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> ...and everything seems to go ok. I do ruby -v and I'm told I have
>> 1.9.2, but after restarting the machine it goes back to 1.8.7 :-/
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> It seems it's a problem with your paths variable.  You should see that
> ruby and friends did indeed get installed in the /usr/local/bin
> directory, which could only happen installing as root (using sudo).
>
> Is /usr/local/bin still at the beginning of your paths when you do echo
> $PATH?  Is your default user shell bash?  My hunch is your .profile file
> is being ignored.  Until it's resolved, as a work-around, you can refer
> to the ruby command using it's full path (/usr/local/bin/ruby) or create
> an alias to it...
>
> alias ruby='/usr/local/bin/ruby'
>
> Jose

Hi Jose

echo $PATH gives me:

/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/git/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin

How do I find out if my default user is shell bash? (there's only one
account on this Mac - if that's what you mean)

If I use the alias - will it mess anything up further down the line?
(And will it be ok for Rails etc?) .profile is still in my home folder
:-/