Let me take a little stab at the first one (Ruby's main uses as a code language.)

Well I would have to say that there are some limitations, as with most languages, to Ruby.  That being said, you can do most anything you want with Ruby.  I have made a mass Emailer and a WebCrawler along with QA apps.  So its somewhat left up to your imagination.