--001485f27208619f4604913a6dff

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 3:43 AM, elise huard <huard.elise / gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Josh Cheek <josh.cheek / gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, there is a gem I want to use (bones-extras), but the part I want to
> use
> > doesn't work on 1.9.2 since they removed "." from the path (extremely
> > irritating, btw).
> >
> > On my system, I can fix it, by editing the source to add "." to the
> > beginning of the file path, but that doesn't help anyone else, and it
> > doesn't help me later if I try to work on my project on a different
> > computer.
> >
> > I figure this is a good opportunity to help an open source project, but
> I'm
> > not sure what to do. I know that I fork it on github, clone my fork, make
> > the change, push it back up, then send a pull request. But is there a
> blog
> > or anything that talks about the extra stuff? Do I change the version?
> How
> > do I word my commit? Are there any expectations of me that I should take
> > care to observe? How long do I keep my fork?
> >
> > I want to contribute to other projects out, but the process seems
> > undocumented, and I'm unsure of my obligations / expectations.
> >

> out of curiosity (google won't tell me, and probably missed that
> particular discussion on teh mailing list): why was '.' removed from
> the load path ?
>
> as to the above question, my guess would be:
> add
> $: << "."
> where relevant.  There might be a more elegant way, though.

Thanks, Elise. I had tried placing that at the top of my Rakefile, and it
did not work. It is unclear to me why not. The best ideas I can come up with
are that $: might be a "local global" like Regexp matches, or that rake
somehow knows to load bones-extras before it looks at my Rakefile.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 3:46 AM, elise huard <huard.elise / gmail.com> wrote:

> or rather, require all the necessary files from the one loaded when
> you load the gem.

Yes, I have a workaround similar to this that I am using. But as I said
above, it doesn't help anyone else, and this seems like a good opportunity
to learn how to contribute to OSS.

--001485f27208619f4604913a6dff--