Before you jump to an answer here, please don't suggest that I use
_strptime.  Going that route forces my users to give me the date and/or
time in the format that I specify.  Which is really not optimal.

So the problem is that Date#parse assumes that the format is
day/month/year.  I would like to make it assume that it is in the US
format, month/day/year.

After digging into format.rb I tried this:

class Date
  def _parse_eu(str, e)
    _parse_us(str,e)

... in an attempt to skip the parse_eu method.... that solution doesn't
exactly work:

ruby-1.9.2-p0 >   Date.parse("10/04/2010")
 => Sat, 10 Apr 2010

So, it's still using the EU format.  Any other suggestions??

Thanks!