2010/9/20 Edmond Kachale <edmond.kachale / baobabhealth.org>

> Younes,
>
> I stopped using mysql gem. The whole gem is messed up seriously.
>
> When I had the same problem on my Ubuntu, I just installed *libmysql-rub*=
,
> restarted the mysql-server and everything was roses. This solution worked=
 on
> Ubuntu versions 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10 and 10.04. I'm sure there must be =
a
> corresponding library in OSX 10.* .
>

I meant to say *libmysql-ruby.
*

>
> But if you still insist to have mysql gem, then try this one out:
> http://blog.maxdunn.com/articles/2006/12/12/installing-mysql-gem-on-mac-o=
s-x-10-4
> .
>
> Gem regards,
>
>
> ---
> Edmond
> Software Developer | Baobab Health Trust (http://www.baobabhealth.org/) |
> Malawi
>
> Cell:  +265 999 465 137 | +265 881 234 717
>
> *"Every Rubygem has its own gemspec"* -- Edmond Kachale
>
>
>
>
>
> 2010/9/20 Younes Baghor <w3bwizart.be / gmail.com>
>
> Hello there,
>>
>> I'm trying to install  the Mysql Gem but getting error's.
>> I read a few artikels on the forum here, but honestly i don't understand
>> the problem.
>>
>> Im running ruby 1.8 on a mac osX 10.6.4
>>
>> ERROR =3D
>> -------
>>
>> sudo gem install mysql
>> Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
>> ERROR:  Error installing mysql:
>>  ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>>
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
>> extconf.rb
>> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
>> checking for main() in -lm... yes
>> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
>> checking for main() in -lz... yes
>> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
>> checking for main() in -lsocket... no
>> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
>> checking for main() in -lnsl... no
>> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
>> checking for main() in -lmygcc... no
>> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
>> *** extconf.rb failed ***
>> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
>> necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
>> details.  You may need configuration options.
>>
>> Provided configuration options:
>>  --with-opt-dir
>>  --without-opt-dir
>>  --with-opt-include
>>  --without-opt-include=3D${opt-dir}/include
>>  --with-opt-lib
>>  --without-opt-lib=3D${opt-dir}/lib
>>  --with-make-prog
>>  --without-make-prog
>>  --srcdir=3D.
>>  --curdir
>>
>>  --ruby=3D/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin=
/ruby
>>  --with-mysql-config
>>  --without-mysql-config
>>  --with-mysql-dir
>>  --without-mysql-dir
>>  --with-mysql-include
>>  --without-mysql-include=3D${mysql-dir}/include
>>  --with-mysql-lib
>>  --without-mysql-lib=3D${mysql-dir}/lib
>>  --with-mysqlclientlib
>>  --without-mysqlclientlib
>>  --with-mlib
>>  --without-mlib
>>  --with-mysqlclientlib
>>  --without-mysqlclientlib
>>  --with-zlib
>>  --without-zlib
>>  --with-mysqlclientlib
>>  --without-mysqlclientlib
>>  --with-socketlib
>>  --without-socketlib
>>  --with-mysqlclientlib
>>  --without-mysqlclientlib
>>  --with-nsllib
>>  --without-nsllib
>>  --with-mysqlclientlib
>>  --without-mysqlclientlib
>>  --with-mygcclib
>>  --without-mygcclib
>>  --with-mysqlclientlib
>>  --without-mysqlclientlib
>>
>>
>> Gem files will remain installed in
>> /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1 for inspection.
>> Results logged to
>> /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1/ext/mysql_api/gem_make.out
>>
>>
>> And Here is the  mkmf.log  file =3D
>> -------------------------
>>
>> find_library: checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient...
>> -------------------- no
>>
>> "gcc -o conftest -I.
>>
>> -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.=
8/universal-darwin10.0
>> -I. -I/usr/local/include  -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_DARWIN_C_SOURCE   -arch
>> i386 -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -DENABLE_DTRACE  -fno-common  -pipe
>> -fno-common   conftest.c  -L.
>> -L/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib
>> -L/usr/local/lib -L. -arch i386      -lruby -lmysqlclient  -lpthread
>> -ldl  "
>> conftest.c: In function =91t=92:
>> conftest.c:3: error: =91mysql_query=92 undeclared (first use in this
>> function)
>> conftest.c:3: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>> conftest.c:3: error: for each function it appears in.)
>> checked program was:
>> /* begin */
>> 1: /*top*/
>> 2: int main() { return 0; }
>> 3: int t() { void ((*volatile p)()); p =3D (void ((*)()))mysql_query;
>> return 0; }
>> /* end */
>>
>> "gcc -o conftest -I.
>>
>> -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.=
8/universal-darwin10.0
>> -I. -I/usr/local/include  -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_DARWIN_C_SOURCE   -arch
>> i386 -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -DENABLE_DTRACE  -fno-common  -pipe
>> -fno-common   conftest.c  -L.
>> -L/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib
>> -L/usr/local/lib -L. -arch i386      -lruby -lmysqlclient  -lpthread
>> -ldl  "
>> ld: warning: directory '/usr/local/lib' following -L not found
>> ld: library not found for -lmysqlclient
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> checked program was:
>> /* begin */
>> 1: /*top*/
>> 2: int main() { return 0; }
>> 3: int t() { mysql_query(); return 0; }
>> /* end */
>>
>> I think i'm  missing a library or file but i have no idee where or what
>> to do.
>> Some help would be nice thx
>> --
>> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
>>
>>
>