Younes,

I stopped using mysql gem. The whole gem is messed up seriously.

When I had the same problem on my Ubuntu, I just installed *libmysql-rub*,
restarted the mysql-server and everything was roses. This solution worked o=
n
Ubuntu versions 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10 and 10.04. I'm sure there must be a
corresponding library in OSX 10.* .

But if you still insist to have mysql gem, then try this one out:
http://blog.maxdunn.com/articles/2006/12/12/installing-mysql-gem-on-mac-os-=
x-10-4
.

Gem regards,


---
Edmond
Software Developer | Baobab Health Trust (http://www.baobabhealth.org/) |
Malawi

Cell:  +265 999 465 137 | +265 881 234 717

*"Every Rubygem has its own gemspec"* -- Edmond Kachale





2010/9/20 Younes Baghor <w3bwizart.be / gmail.com>

> Hello there,
>
> I'm trying to install  the Mysql Gem but getting error's.
> I read a few artikels on the forum here, but honestly i don't understand
> the problem.
>
> Im running ruby 1.8 on a mac osX 10.6.4
>
> ERROR =3D
> -------
>
> sudo gem install mysql
> Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
> ERROR:  Error installing mysql:
>  ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
> extconf.rb
> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
> checking for main() in -lm... yes
> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
> checking for main() in -lz... yes
> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
> checking for main() in -lsocket... no
> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
> checking for main() in -lnsl... no
> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
> checking for main() in -lmygcc... no
> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
> *** extconf.rb failed ***
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
> details.  You may need configuration options.
>
> Provided configuration options:
>  --with-opt-dir
>  --without-opt-dir
>  --with-opt-include
>  --without-opt-include=3D${opt-dir}/include
>  --with-opt-lib
>  --without-opt-lib=3D${opt-dir}/lib
>  --with-make-prog
>  --without-make-prog
>  --srcdir=3D.
>  --curdir
>  --ruby=3D/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/=
ruby
>  --with-mysql-config
>  --without-mysql-config
>  --with-mysql-dir
>  --without-mysql-dir
>  --with-mysql-include
>  --without-mysql-include=3D${mysql-dir}/include
>  --with-mysql-lib
>  --without-mysql-lib=3D${mysql-dir}/lib
>  --with-mysqlclientlib
>  --without-mysqlclientlib
>  --with-mlib
>  --without-mlib
>  --with-mysqlclientlib
>  --without-mysqlclientlib
>  --with-zlib
>  --without-zlib
>  --with-mysqlclientlib
>  --without-mysqlclientlib
>  --with-socketlib
>  --without-socketlib
>  --with-mysqlclientlib
>  --without-mysqlclientlib
>  --with-nsllib
>  --without-nsllib
>  --with-mysqlclientlib
>  --without-mysqlclientlib
>  --with-mygcclib
>  --without-mygcclib
>  --with-mysqlclientlib
>  --without-mysqlclientlib
>
>
> Gem files will remain installed in
> /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1 for inspection.
> Results logged to
> /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1/ext/mysql_api/gem_make.out
>
>
> And Here is the  mkmf.log  file =3D
> -------------------------
>
> find_library: checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient...
> -------------------- no
>
> "gcc -o conftest -I.
>
> -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8=
/universal-darwin10.0
> -I. -I/usr/local/include  -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_DARWIN_C_SOURCE   -arch
> i386 -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -DENABLE_DTRACE  -fno-common  -pipe
> -fno-common   conftest.c  -L.
> -L/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib
> -L/usr/local/lib -L. -arch i386      -lruby -lmysqlclient  -lpthread
> -ldl  "
> conftest.c: In function =91t=92:
> conftest.c:3: error: =91mysql_query=92 undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> conftest.c:3: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> conftest.c:3: error: for each function it appears in.)
> checked program was:
> /* begin */
> 1: /*top*/
> 2: int main() { return 0; }
> 3: int t() { void ((*volatile p)()); p =3D (void ((*)()))mysql_query;
> return 0; }
> /* end */
>
> "gcc -o conftest -I.
>
> -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8=
/universal-darwin10.0
> -I. -I/usr/local/include  -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_DARWIN_C_SOURCE   -arch
> i386 -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -DENABLE_DTRACE  -fno-common  -pipe
> -fno-common   conftest.c  -L.
> -L/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib
> -L/usr/local/lib -L. -arch i386      -lruby -lmysqlclient  -lpthread
> -ldl  "
> ld: warning: directory '/usr/local/lib' following -L not found
> ld: library not found for -lmysqlclient
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> checked program was:
> /* begin */
> 1: /*top*/
> 2: int main() { return 0; }
> 3: int t() { mysql_query(); return 0; }
> /* end */
>
> I think i'm  missing a library or file but i have no idee where or what
> to do.
> Some help would be nice thx
> --
> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
>
>