Steven Boss wrote:
> Here is the problem:
> An Ambulance are dispatched at a rate of one every 15 + 10 minutes in a
> large metropolitan area. Fifteen percent of the calls are false alarm
> which requires 12 + 2 minutes to complete. All other calls can be one of
> two kinds. First kind are classified as serious. They constitute 15% of
> the non-false alarm calls and take 25 + 5 minutes to complete. The
> remaining call take 20 + 10 minutes to complete. Assume that there are
> very large number of available ambulance, and that any number can be on
> call at any time. Write a program that would simulate the system???s 500
> call to be completed.
>
> i think it is similar to this topic:
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/215134#new

Yes, remarkably similar.

My advice to you would be the same: start by doing the simulation *by
hand*, using paper and pencil. Do it for at least 5 ambulances so that
you can be clear about the sequence of actions. Then automate that
sequence.

The question seems ambiguous in several ways, so as you do it, write
down what interpretation you have chosen. For example, what does "15 +
10 minutes" mean? Perhaps it means 15 +/- 10 minutes (i.e. 5 to 25), or
between 15 and 15 + 10 (i.e. 15 to 25). Is this a linear distribution,
i.e. all times equally likely? Is it discrete (exactly 5 or 6 or ... 25
minutes), or continuous (any fractional value between 5.0 and 25.0)?