On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Lyle Johnson wrote:

> >      I've noticed a similar when trying to create a wrapper for C program.
> > I finally wound up using the skeleton produced by SWIG, and writing my own
> > code inside each "wrapper", then deleting all the SWIG-related small
> > service routines that were no longer called by anyone.  From the short
> > time that I spent looking at it, I think that the problem is that SWIG
> > thinks that all VALUES contain pointers to the real data, and tries to
> > get the pointer, and extract the real data.  So, it may work fine when
> > used to wrap routines that receive arrays, hashes, and strings, but will
> > not work too well for routines that expect FixNum's and booleans.  FWIW.
>
> Which version of SWIG was this? This is the first time I've ever heard of
> this particular problem. At any rate, a lot of work has been done on SWIG's
> Ruby module in the recent past, and in particular the development version in
> CVS (which will eventually be released as SWIG 1.3.12) is pretty solid. I'd
> encourage you to take another look if you have time (and an applicable
> project, of course!)

Wow!  A real live person, and quick response!  My apologies.  I guess that
something (probably something I misread in the documentation, or the fact
that there wasn't much of it) caused me to jump to the conclusion that
SWIG-ruby was kind of an orphaned child, and that the SWIG developers
were pretty much swamped and focused on other stuff while the "swig -ruby"
logic just sat in a corned and collected dust.  Looks like I was wrong.
Thanks for the heads up (and the ray of hope!)

To answer you specific question, I was using Swig 1.3.11.  Unless its a
project I'm working on or very familiar with, and absent specific
recommendations from a knowledgeable person, I tend to stay away from
cutting edge CVS versions of Swig (or anything) on the assumption that
its probably fairly experimental and buggy.  Buoyed up by your
recommendation, I'll get and build the CVS version, and try it again
(with a small example interface).  If I then run into a problem, I'll
try posting the info to the SWIG developers mailing list.  Thanks again.

Dennis