> I recently started playing with Shoes to learn it during my Ruby
> learning journey.
> It appears to be easy, although the current doc is not what a beginner
> like I would prefer.

Hey, thanks for trying out Shoes! What would make the documentation better
for you?

> I hope the developer of this

pgm does not get upset.

I have some questions which I would like help with.

Absolutely not. Feedback is the only way that things get better.

First, should I post Shoes questions to shoes / librelist.org or should

my questions go to ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org? or Both?

You're free to post questions to both, but you'll get better help from
shoes / librelist.org. I try to pay attention to ruby-talk, but sometimes I
miss threads. I read everything on the shoes-specific list. I don't think
I've seen any of the other core team members post to Ruby-talk, either.

I tried

subscribing to shoes / librelist.org but it was impossible!

Could you elaborate more on what you mean by 'it was impossible?' or is that
what's in this image you're talking about? feel free to mail it to me
off-list.

1 - When placing a number of buttons, such as the ones found in a

calculator, how can I tell Shoes to place them on the center of the

pane, without having to specify margin?

Does this help? http://shoes.heroku.com/manual/Styles.html#:align

2 - I am using a stack do with nothing inside (between the do and the

end) to keep items within a flow one on top of the other, is there a

different way to do this?

I'm not sure of exactly what you're asking. Maybe a screenshot would help?

3 - I tried to use the Pi symbol and the square root (ĘŚ) symbol and

other symbols as caption/lable for the corresponding buttons, but I

got an errors or the wrong thing displayed. Is there a way to

accomplish this?

Are you using Shoes 2 or Shoes 3? They use 1.8 and 1.9, respectively, and so
there might be some encoding issues based on which one you're using.

4 - It looks like I can achieve the same function with para and

caption. What is the difference between the two?

I am not sure, off the top of my head.

5 - How can I reduce the space between flows?

I'm not sure about this one, either...