There is quite a few reasons, the main one is that Ruby assumes a POSIX
environment
for general development, and this is worked around (usually successfully) on
windows.

But there are enough areas where it doesn't work that cause issues ad a
general feeling
of dissatisfaction.

Note that this situation is changing considerably. JRuby has made serious
development
on windows for Ruby users possible for several years now, and the latest
release of
RubyInstaller has made dramatic changes to how Ruby works on Windows (in
short it introduces
the equivalent of a POSIX toolchain).

There is a long history on this problem, but it is not as interesting as the
positive recent
developments that make Ruby on Windows a much more pleasant experience.