On 9/16/2010 6:59 PM, Tom Wardrop wrote:
> I've looked at quite a few IDE's (or editors) for Ruby on Windows, but
> seem quite unimpressed by them. I've tried Netbeans, RadRails, IntelliJ,
> Redcar and others. I'm yet to find an editor that does basic code
> completion. For example, if I type a new line with the keyword "File." I
> would expect to be prompted with all the methods provided by the File
> class. It's this functionality which you expect from an IDE. Thus far,
> all the IDE's I've tried have been little more than glorified syntax
> highlighters; I may as well just use notepad++.
>
> Can I ask what others are using to edit Ruby code on Windows?
I'm afraid code completion for Ruby is pretty much out. Between dynamic
typing and meta-programming, its more or less impossible to statically
determine types, much less what methods happen to be available.
Netbeans and RubyMine, both make an attempt, but of course it's far from
perfect.  Redcar also has the RSense plugin, which again, is far from
perfect.  Redcar also uses TextMate snippets, which can make coding much
more pleasant.

Your best bet is to learn to use IRB and the documentation effectively.
While I can't imagine writing C# or Java without code completion, I've
found that in Ruby I really don't tend to miss it much.

For what it's worth, there is a summary of IDEs and features here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al_hzYODcgxwdG9tUFhqcVVoUDVaLTlqT2YtNjV1N0E&hl=en
<https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al_hzYODcgxwdG9tUFhqcVVoUDVaLTlqT2YtNjV1N0E&hl=en>
But none of these do true code completion.