Thanks, I understand now. So you install the DevKit (which contains
mingw) once. Then you can build gems with native extensions or other
extconf libraries.

Sorry if this is OT, but I'd also like to ask if this can work with
RVM. If you install the DevKit, can you then use rvm to install (and
presumably compile)  other rubies?

Thanks,
Ed

Ed Howland