Hi,
bash will look for files in the PATH but in the same order as in PATH.
Hence if you have two files/programs called the same in two different
directories included in the PATH, bash will give you the first one.

That may explain some of the problems.

The shebang only works if your file is set as an executable. To fix
that you can use:
chmod 755 <filename>

Finally I don't think you need to have the final colon in your PATH...
though I don't know if that has any effect.

How that helps
Diego

On 14 Sep, 09:16, Sam Riffe <sbri... / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have two entry level questions that I was hoping someone could help
> out with.
>
> 1. I recently installed Ruby 1.9.2 on my Mac (running Snow Leopard
> 10.6.4) and I haven=92t been able to figure out how to get Terminal to us=
> the new Ruby as a default, rather than the factory-installed Ruby 1.8.7.
> The old Ruby 1.8.7 is located in my ~/usr/bin/ruby directory while the
> new Ruby 1.9.2 is in ~/usr/local/bin/ruby. =A0Someone said that I need to
> put the new version of Ruby's directory in the PATH prior to the old
> version's directory so that the system looks there first - is this
> correct? =A0If so, can anyone provide step by step instructions on how to
> do this?
>
> [Side Note: I actually somehow got it to work when I first installed
> 1.9.2, but I have networked computers and a wireless Apple Time Machine
> backing up both machines that is somehow communicating shell settings
> via the backup mechanism, from my un-upgraded MacBook back to the iMac
> that has the new 1.9.2 installed. =A0Somehow the PATH settings from the
> MacBook seems to be overriding what's on the iMac. =A0I've noticed the
> same thing happens with my TextMate preferences - the style preferences
> on the laptop get transferred to the one on the iMac in realtime
> somehow. =A0After I figure out how to fix this, I'm going to change the
> shell settings on both machines to try and prevent this. =A0Just curious
> if others have encountered this issue.]
>
> 2. I=92ve created a new directory but can=92t seem to figure out the corr=
ect
> way to add that directory to my PATH using the Terminal bash shell. =A0I
> tried using the instructions that I found here
> (http://www.macgasm.net/2008/04/10/ad...thin-terminal/) twice but they
> didn't work for me. =A0The directory containing my program
> ("Ruby_Programs") shows up in the PATH but when I try to run "ruby
> newprogram.rb" from the command line it results in ":ruby: No such file
> or directory -- newprogram.rb (LoadError)". =A0The file definitely exists
> and is a functional Ruby program. =A0I did change the name of the
> directory to "Ruby Programs" and then back to "Ruby_Programs" - could
> that have somehow caused this problem?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. =A0Here is my current PATH:
>
> $ echo $PATH
> /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/Users/sbrriffe/src:/usr/X11=
/b in:/Users/sbriffe/Ruby_Programs/: