Mohammed Rashad wrote:
> As my subject line says the question is about ruby web framework
>
> Which is the best ruby web framework?

The "best" framework depends on what your requirements are. If there
were one "best", the others would already have died :-)

> Is it good in performance and speed to use ruby without any framework
> (running on Apache) ?

Yes.

Your best option is to use Apache with Phusion Passenger (mod_rails).
This lets you write applications using the Rack API directly.

Using the raw Rack API, you just implement one method ('call') which is
invoked for each incoming request, and you return an array containing
the status, headers and body. See:

http://www.modrails.com/documentation/Users%20guide.html#_tutorial_example_writing_and_deploying_a_hello_world_rack_application

This is a good solution; mod_rails manages your processes, and can spawn
extra instances for load-sharing.

Your other main option is fastcgi, but this is falling out of use.

Note that "performance and speed" is rarely the number one goal of
application development - usually it's something like time to market,
which gives you a real business benefit. That's the main reason for
using a framework like Sinatra or Rails.

But both of these sit on top of Rack, so you can combine them with raw
Rack code for the one or two actions which demand the fastest possible
response rate.

So I'd suggest: write your application first, using whichever tool lets
you develop it quickest, and *then* profile it and optimise where
required.

B.