I'm used to Debian and BSD style package managements, and Macports
always seemed slow, a lbit clunky and out of date compared to those
others (though obviously respect to macport maintainers for doing it).
 When a program is not available on homebrew I usually install it from
source, though obviously the right course would then be to package it
for homebrew, I'm told that's pretty easy.
but maybe this is a discussion for another mailing list :)