--0015174befde1209d9048f358f35

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Tridib Bandopadhyay <tridib04 / gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am pursuing my Masters in Computer Science and I have to do my Masters
> thesis on Ruby 1.9.1 to make a new compiler.
>
> I have downloaded the source code from Ruby Homepage.
>
> I saw many *.c files in the source code folder.Can any one tell me how
> to combine two files and start running a fraction of the code.(As I need
> only the Garbage collector part for my thesis.)
>
> I really don't intend to come off as disparaging in my following
statements, just surprised at the ambiguous wording from a "computer
science" fellow.

First off, the GC is not likely to compile separate from the rest of ruby.
I am unsure as to what you mean by "combining two files and start running a
fraction of the code."

Your first step really aught to be to simply get a handle of the build
system that is used to compile ruby.

Once you have that under control, it would be wise to compare notes between
MRI ruby ( what you downloaded)
and Ruby enterprise edition. The ent build of ruby has implemented copy on
write. IIRC they made a few changes to how GC works in that build.
http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/download.html

Also note that there are significant differences between the 1.8.x series
and 1.9.x.
Enterprise ruby is a 1.8 ruby.

Since you mentioned that you are writing a compiler, I might suggest:
http://www.rubyspec.org/
http://ruby-std.netlab.jp/

In regards to compiler theory, you may already be aware of this book ( the
ambiguous-ness in your question challenges this assumption)
http://www.amazon.com/Compilers-Principles-Techniques-Alfred-Aho/dp/0201100886
http://dragonbook.stanford.edu/

Also here are some additional Ruby GC resources:
http://timetobleed.com/garbage-collection-slides-from-la-ruby-conference/
http://timetobleed.com/plugging-ruby-memory-leaks-heapstack-dump-patches-to-help-take-out-the-trash/
http://timetobleed.com/string-together-global-offset-tables-to-build-a-ruby-memory-profiler/

I hope this shot gun fire of resources get's somewhere closer to an answer,
or at least a better refinement of the question.

Respectfully,
Andrew McElroy
http://TryRuby.org