Again thanx a ton Brian..

Still i've few more doubts..

1) Am working with Windows XP SP3
 > using Ruby1.8.6

2) I did the following cmd to find the client side certificate location
folder
>openssl version -d
OPENSSLDIR: "C:/lan/ssl"
-- But I didn't find the above path in my system! is there anyother way
to find it ?

3) I tried the following cmd in my Linux(i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux)
machine
> openssl s_client -CApath /usr/share/ssl -connect www.paypal.com:443
-- I got a "Verify return code: 0 (ok)" for the above cmd

4) From your previous detailed explanation i very well understood my
issue and the ssl verification flow. So if i've the server's certificate
in my app's root(in case of RoR app, in Win XP), i'd be able to
successfully connect to paypal..?? Or is it enough to supply the openssl
certificates path of windows somewhere in the code..??

>> So far I was doubting the issue with the PEM certifcate which now am clear that it's only for my identification.. thanx a ton for your patience in explaining me.

Guess your next reply would resolve my issue.. kindly help me out..