One of the best contributions for any language in web development (IMHO) is
to embed the interpreter into an Apache module.  I do not have extensive
experience with Ruby or mod_ruby but I do have extensive Perl/mod_perl
experience.  Forget about the speed gains over CGI (although this is
important), in my experience it is the features (hooks into Apache API) that
the embedded interpreter provides that makes it truly valuable.