On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 9:47 AM, botp <botpena / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Rahul Kumar <sentinel1879 / gmail.com> wro=
te:
>> Not clear what this implies. rbcurse does *not* use ncurses form or
>> menu. It implements forms and fields and menus in pure ruby, since
>> ncurses forms and fields are extremely painful, restricted and limited.
>> rbcurse uses only ncurses Window and Panel.
>
> i was wrong then. i thought* rbcurse required ruby-ncurses... wc i
> have had difficulty installing then especially when i shifted to 1.9

It does. (I think the 1.9.x difficulties with Ruby's ncurses have been
overcome - see http://totalrecall.wordpress.com/2010/08/22/ncurses-working-=
with-ruby-1-9-2-snow-leopard/).

>> Or are you asking that ffi should implement _ncurses_ form and menu ?

I'm personally not keen to do this. I would rather work on a common
console abstraction for both ncurses and Win32 Console, then build
widgets on top of that. I'm planning to use rbcurse as a baseline for
what such an abstraction would have to support.

> ffi-ncurses just runs =A0without a need for ruby-ncurses... =A0i was
> thinking if rbcurse =A0could go thru/require ffi-ncurses instead of
> ruby-ncurses.. =A0 apologies if i am =A0wrong again on these
> assumptions...

Your assumptions are correct but ffi-ncurses is not a drop-in
replacement for ruby-ncurses so there would be some work to convert
rbcurse to use it.

Regards,
Sean