On Aug 25, 2:38   𮮮
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Luis Lavena <luislav... / gmail.com> wrote:
> > Did you installed ruby with admin rights? Because gem env shows the right information.
> > Try setting HOME using setx command to a folder without spaces.
>
> this is weird.
> out of desperation, i removed all home vars (eg homepath...) _and_ it
> works. i was even able to update
>
> .. just wondering now how it would affect other win apps that depends
> on homepath, etc...

HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH is part of the system, you shouldn't be
removing those :-P

What was HOME set to?

On Windows XP I used to map my user directory to another drive and
configured USERPROFILE (in User administration) to that drive.

Vista and now 7 uses user folders without spaces, thank god.

> btw, Luis, can i install ruby as an ordinary user (no admin ie) and
> just place ruby under my win home folder... akin to what
> linux...

That is how I have installed Ruby (actually using the 7-zip packages
of RubyInstaller).

However, please avoid having path with spaces as your home directory.

C:\Users\Luis\Projects\oss\oci\rubyinstaller>where ruby
C:\Users\Luis\Tools\Ruby\ruby-1.8.7-p302-i386-mingw32\bin\ruby.exe

--
Luis Lavena