------------13C4E094297FF

Saturday, August 21, 2010, 11:39:22 PM, you wrote:

RS> 1) Is there an active OCRA chat list?

RS> 2) When I use OCRA to create an executable, the executable crashes before the first puts is executed.

RS> I _tentatively_ have isolated the problem to subclassing String. ...

RS> - - - -

RS> class PathnameString < String
RS>   def initialize(arg)
RS>     super arg
RS>   end
RS>
RS>   def is_root_directory?
RS>     !((self.convert_forward_slash_to_back_slash.strip /^[A-Za-z]:\\$/).nil?)
RS>   end

RS>   def convert_forward_slash_to_back_slash
RS>     self.class.new(self.gsub(/\//, "\\"))
RS>   end

RS> end
RS> - - - -

RS> Assuming that it is this subclassing that is causing OCRA difficulties, do any of the gurus here know what I might have to do get OCRA to understand the subclassing?

RS> In the alternate ... I will have to change this from an ISA method to a HASA method with a ton of delegates.   Is there a good Ruby way to do that?

RS> Does using a ghost method sound like a good idea here?

Replying to my own message:

Well, it was not subclassing, I think, that was messing OCRA up.

I had a handful of relatively innocuous *.rb files in a subdirectory off of my main directory.  These are some utility classes and modules.  As far as I can tell, there is nothing particularly special about them.

These functions sat in a directory named "Utils".  Changing the name of the directory from Utils to UD_Stuff did not clear the crash.

The only thing that worked was moving these innocuous utility functions from the subdirectory up a level to the same directory where *main.rb* ...
  ruby mymain.rb

What's weird is that I have other subdirectories (e.g. Models, Views, Controllers) with large and complicated ruby files, and I have no problems with them.

If anyone has any ideas ... I'd love to hear them.
------------13C4E094297FF--