2010/8/17 Chuck Remes <cremes.devlist / mac.com>:
> My basic understanding of the garbage collectors in use by the various Ruby runtimes is
> that they all search for objects from a "root" memory object. If an object cannot be reached
> from this root, then it is collected.

There is a small error in the wording above.  While the issue has been
explained already I want to stress this point because this is a
mistake many new to GC make and it explains some weird effects that
special tests show.  It should have read

If an object cannot be reached from this root, then it _can be_ collected.

Small change, big difference. :-)

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/