Iain Barnett wrote:
>> find it, unless it finds another one earlier in the path.
>
> I see, that makes sense. I assumed that since I was giving a path to
> load that it wouldn't search through the $: paths.

The actual behaviour of Kernel#load is not obvious

Experimentation with 1.9.2-preview2 suggests:

* load 'foo.rb' will find foo.rb relative to $:

* if that fails, load 'foo.rb' will also find foo.rb in the current
directory, even if "." is not in $: (but require won't)

As far as I can see, this difference is not documented in ri Kernel#load