Now that I reflect on this I find that the point where I understood
the Unix philosophy was when I read the book "Software Tools" by
Kernighan and Plauger - don't bother with the Pascal edition of the
book :( Not sure that you get to learn a lot of programming techniques
from that book these days (in the old days, the 70s in my case, there
were few usable programming texts). But the underlying "small tools
joined together like lego to build something bigger" outlook was an
eye opener for my - being as I was a mainframe programmer.

Unix was so cool in how it didn't care about things it didn't care about.