Excerpts from Diego Bernardes's message of Mon Aug 16 14:34:19 +0200 2010:
> I use Linux about 5 years, but, this year that i started to "use" linux.
> Now i understand a little more about the unix philosophy and some other
> trick things windows dont do/have.
> This changed the way i program. Ruby was build to help manage linux
> systems, rigth?
>
> So, this is the question, what you guys think about the way ruby
> programs are made?
> Why build a gem/program to send mail if you can send with sendmail?
> Why build process monitor if you can use monit?
> And so..
Because Ruby applications also run on Mac, Windows, ....
And because Ruby can send emails even if there is no sendmail installed
etc. In contrast to Windows XX versions there is no such "Linux".
there are thousands of different distributions which are all called
"Linux".

In the end you don't have to use the Ruby packages. You can just use
sendmail..

Another reason for duplicating work is that Ruby progrommers may find it
easier to extend a Ruby program. Coding C takes more time.

I don't think there is an easy answer to your question.

Marc Weber