Brian Candler wrote:
> Diego Bernardes wrote:
>> About that, yes, its true, most mail block external images. But is the
>> only way i can know if the user has read or not the mail.
>> And the list is send to people who wants the mail, they trust in the
>> mail content.
>> Have any other way to track the mails?
>
> Not really. Some mailers will honour requests for return receipts, but
> they will pop up a dialog first asking the user if they're happy to send
> it back.
>
> The best I can think of is that you could put the content they're
> looking for on a web page, then just E-mail them a short message with
> the link. e.g. "Click here to read this month's newsletter". Include a
> unique cookie in the link, e.g. as a query parameter. Then you can tell
> if they clicked through or not.
>
> The real question is, what problem are you trying to solve by
> determining whether the user opened the mail or not?
>
> If the problem is a commercial one (e.g. your customer wants to pay you
> based on the number of E-mails opened, not the number of E-mails
> delivered) then you could use surveys or statistical samples to estimate
> what proportion of their E-mails is opened. In other words, a bit like
> TV viewer figures.
>
> B.

The issue is, this system deal with marketing mail, know if the user has
open mail is useful to my client for a lot of reasons, like, later this
numbers turn into reports so they can discuss a new strategy and so.

And yea its a good idea to direct the user to a website using some query
string to track.

Diego.