Kirk Haines wrote:
> Were it me, I'd write a simple server to itself return the image, and
> I'd throw records of images served into a log.

Just parse the Apache logs.

Or, if you want it more real-time, you can use the pipe log capability
of Apache, so you can have a persistent Ruby process which receives the
logs on stdin. But then again, you might as well just receive the HTTP
in Ruby.

Note: you should be aware that most modern E-mail clients *don't* open
remote images in E-mails, for exactly the reason that it gives away
information about them being read (*)

Also: if you send out one million E-mails, *and* all of them are opened
within a 24 hour period, *and* 20% of the users have old clients which
do open remote images, then you'd only have to handle an average of 2.3
hits per second. Hardly need the world's fastest webserver for that.

Regards, Brian.

(*) And hence HTML E-mails with images usually now embed the images
within the message, e.g. RFC2557, RFC2392