Chris Gehlker wrote:
> On 3/23/02 1:48 PM, "Jim Freeze" <jim / freeze.org> wrote:
>

>>Hi:
>>
>>I am thinking about getting a mac laptop
>>with OS 10. Does Ruby work well with the Mac?
>>That is, easy to install, no missing features,
>>etc. I currently use Ruby on FreeBSD and SunOS.
>>
>>I assume that it does (all I do now are commandline
>>programs) since OS 10 is really FreeBSD under the hood.
>

> Here is what to watch out for.
> 1) Stuffit Expander, The automatic unarchiver that comes with Mac OS X will
> mangle some path names when it unarchives the tgz file. Throw away anything
> it produces and use GNU tar or BSD tar, both included, to unarchive the
> download. OpenUp, a free (both senses) GUI wrapper around BSD tar also
> works.
>
> 2) configure needs the --enable-shared option to properly build Ruby on OSX..
> It needs --mandir='/usr/local/share/man' to put Ruby's man pages in the OSX
> default MANPATH
>
> 3) There are a few glitches with with Ruby not understanding frameworks
> (yet). So sometimes if you have something installed that a framework on
> MacOSX, you have to put symlinks to the headers and libraries inside the
> framework into some 'standard place' so Ruby can find it. If you've used
> Ruby with GNUStep, it's the same issue. The problem show up with Tk/Tcl and
> it's dependencies.
>
> 4) Nothing really to do with Ruby. Terminal on OSX is quite a nice program
> but sometimes, if you are like me, you don't want any window server at all.
> The only way to kill the window server on OSX is to log out and then type
>
>>console (with the >) for user name at the login prompt. OSX will then kill
>
> Quartz and drop you into bare Darwin where you can log in as yourself.
>
> I hope I've conveyed that any problems with Ruby on OSX are pretty trivial.
> Nothing like the problems that Windows users seem to have.

I know that fink is an option for installing Ruby, but I would like to
be able to build it myself.  Problem is that I get the following error
when compiling Ruby 1.6.6 on OS 10.1.3:

cc -g -O2 -fno-common -pipe -no-precomp -I. -I. -I/usr/local/include -c
dln.c
dln.c:1091: header file 'dlfcn.h' not found
cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in
basic mode
make: *** [dln.o] Error 1

I've worked with Ruby on Win32, Solaris and Linux, but am new to Mac OS
X.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.