On Aug 10, 9:13 ¨Βν¬ ΝαξοθαΑλυμΌναξοθας®αλ®®®ΐηναιμ®γονχςοτεΊ
> I'm trying to build ruby 1.9.2 rc2 on windows 7. When I run
> configure.bat it aborts with the following message.
> cl -nologo -MD rtname.c user32.lib -link > nul
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
>
> I find that the file 'rtname.c' does not exist anywhere within the
> source files. And this is why cl aborts.
>
> I'm totally clueless as to what to do next. Searching for rtname.c on
> google doesn't return anything.

If compilers are not your ground of expertise, I would suggest you
skip that and use a pre-compiled binary.

You can find 1.9.2-rc2 available under the experimental section of
RubyInstaller project at RubyForge:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinstaller/

All these versions are compiled using GCC (MinGW) and work under 32
and 64bits OS.

You can build yourself from source also, using RubyInstaller building
recipes:

http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/

Only pre-requisite is a working Ruby installation, which, ehem, you
can use again Ruby 1.8.7 or something from RubyInstaller download
page:

http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads

If you still want to play with Visual Studio, I would suggest you try
a checkout of ruby_1_9_2 branch since some MSVC issues has been fixed
since rc2

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena