Use the String methods: s. strip!, s.gsub! and s.squeeze as in
the following snippet:

# no-white.rb - remove empty lines and sequences of blanks
# from a text file
fh = File.open('6HWDs5dm.txt')
while( !fh.eof)
    line = fh.readline.chomp
    # remove leading and trailing blanks
    line.strip!
    # skip empty lines
    next if line == ''
    # convert tab chars to blanks
    line.gsub!(/\t/,' ')
    # substitute a single blank for a sequence of blanks
    line.squeeze!(' ')
    # add code to process line if needed
    puts line
end
fh.close
exit(0)

HTH gfb
news:a8de6e7e2af61a043990f1a86a62f009 / ruby-forum.com...