Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Aug 2, 5:16?pm, Geoff Rowell <geoff.row... / gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Originally, when I tried to install the mysql gem, I ended up with the
>> Cygwin (mingw32) version of the gem and a whole mess of documentation
>> warnings. That's not what I wanted! I think this may be because I'm
>> running an x64 OS, so it can't find a matching platform.
>
> No, cygwin != mingw32
>
> Second, you got documentation warnings due old RDoc and missing
> documentation of mysql gem.
>
> Ruby is 32bits, you can't use DLLs that are 64bits, that includes
> MySQL.
>
> You need a 32bits DLL, and more precisely, due MySQL ABI changes, the
> exact same version used to build the binary gem: 5.0.83
>
>> Successfully installed mysql-2.8.1-x86-mswin32
>> 1 gem installed
>>

> If you're using Ruby mingw32 version, I would not recommend install
> mswin32, is the same gem.
>
> The command you provided is wrong and do not do what you intend to.
>
>> Once this is done, you'll find that Ruby is able to talk to the MySQL
>> database server.
>
> You can find this and more accurate details in the RubyInstaller wiki
> tutorials:
>
> http://wiki.github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/tutorials

Okay. The "mingw32" platform isn't intended for Cygwin. However, I think
you're focusing on a minor detail and missing these key points:

1. You need to specify the "x86-mswin32" platform when loading the gem
on a 64-bit Win7 system running the mswin32 flavor of Ruby.

2. Getting the gem to install is only half the battle. You still need to
get a copy of the DLL that matches the gem. These directions allow you
to run a later version of MySQL than the one used to build the gem.

3. Despite spending some serious time looking into this problem, I was
unable to find all of this information organized in one location. I felt
that this forum was a logical place to look for this information.

I'm just trying to ease the way of some other poor soul running into
this problem.

-Geoff