Hi all,

This is a summary of ruby-dev ML in these days.

---- ruby-dev #16301-16500 (2002-3-10 ... 2002-3-19) ----

[ruby-dev:16283] Standard Library Enrichment Project (contd.)

  These libraries will be added in Ruby 1.7 branch:

  * benchmark (GOTO Kentaro)          (done)
  * test/unit (Nathaniel Talbott)
  * StringIO (Nobuyoshi Nakada)       (done)
  * optparse (Nobuyoshi Nakada)       (done)
  * iconv (Nobuyoshi Nakada)          (done)
  * Ruby/DL (Takaaki Tateishi)
  * Ruby/zlib (UENO Katsuhiro)
  * fileutils (Minero Aoki)
  * racc runtime (Minero Aoki)        (done)
  * strscan (Minero Aoki)             (done)

  Still arguing about these libraries:

  * XML library (XMLParser? REXML?)
  * OpenSSL (encryption program restriction in the US)
  * NNTP (net/nntp in RAA? Is it matured?)
  * Win32API (covered by Ruby/DL and its emulation layer)

  Related issue: Where should we put following files in the
  standard package?
      * non-English documents
        (Matz intends to exclude non-English documents from
         source code archive at all.)
      * test scripts in each of the standard libraries
      * sample scripts in each of the standard libraries
      * executable scripts (e.g. irb)

[ruby-dev:16196] Oni Guruma imported into our repository

  Matz has finally adopted "Oni-Guruma" as the new regexp
  engine (in 1.9 or 2.0). Let's hack this new engine!
  You can get latest Oni-Guruma from the cvs.ruby-lang.org,
  according to following steps:

    $ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous / cvs.ruby-lang.org:/src login
    (Logging in to anonymous / cvs.ruby-lang.org)
    CVS password: anonymous
    $ cvs -z4 -d :pserver:anonymous / cvs.ruby-lang.org:/src co oniguruma

-- Minero Aoki

[ruby-dev:16449] class variable & inheritance & singleton method

  The spec of the class variable is changed in ruby-1.6.7.
  A class variable belongs to a most inner non-singleton class which
  encloses the variable on a code. In 1.6.6, a class variable belongs to
  a class where the variable is evaluated.

[ruby-dev:16458] Re: abort with message

  Kazuhiro Nishiyama proposed an optional parameter of the method exit
  so that we can call it with a message as exit(0, "message").

-- Takaaki Tateishi